If you want to trim your household energy expenses, you can start by making sure that the electronic devices you use are as energy efficient as possible. The government's Energy Star program can provide you with the information and guidelines you need to make informed choices when buying new or replacement products.
Here is a brief introduction to the Energy Star program and its efficiency guidelines.
The Energy Star Program
The Energy Star program is intended to provide consumers with reliable information on the energy efficiency of certain types of appliances, consumer electronics, and similar devices. It is a collaboration between the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Energy (DOE), two government agencies concerned with energy conservation and with maintaining a safe, clean environment.
Energy Star Guidelines
Energy Star tests a variety of consumer electronics for energy efficiency and overall effectiveness. If these devices pass the tests and otherwise meet the program's standards, they are granted permission to display the Energy Star logo on the product or on its informative EnergyGuide label. Products that carry the Energy Star logo are certified to be as energy efficient as possible.
You can find Energy Star certifications on products such as computers, heating and cooling equipment, audio/video equipment, kitchen appliances, lighting, and office equipment.
The guidelines that an Energy Star-certified product must meet include:
- Demonstrating energy efficiency that can be identified, measured, and verified via testing.
- Showing the ability to be energy efficient no matter where in the U.S. the product is used.
- Generating savings on monthly energy bills that, over a reasonable period of time, will allow the purchaser to recover the price of the product through these savings alone.
- Identifying energy efficient products sufficiently to distinguish them from their competition.
- Providing a range of features and performance that consumers would want and expect from that type of product.
Fort Wayne residents can count on Hartman Brothers Heating & Air Conditioning for expert HVAC sales, service, maintenance, and installation. Contact us today for more information on Energy Star products and what the program can mean for your residential energy consumption.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in New Haven, Indiana and surrounding Fort Wayne area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about Energy Star guidelines and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide or call us at 260-376-2961.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “publicdomain/Wikipedia”