If you need a new air conditioner, heating system or HVAC repair work in your Fort Wayne area home, you likely will contact at least one HVAC contractor in your area for estimates. Comparing different contractors can be tricky, but you can increase the chances that you will hire the right professional if you:
- Find out about basic qualifications when you set up your appointment. Before you invite an HVAC contractor to give you an estimate, do a little pre-screening. Ask about state licensing and insurance. Make sure that any technician is NATE (North American Technician Excellence) certified.
- Take a look at the paperwork when the contractor arrives. Make sure that the contractor can bring written proof of insurance and licensing when he shows up in your home, and ask to see previous work.
- Walk your contractor through the home and ask questions. A good HVAC contractor does not offer one-size-fits-all solutions, because there are no such solutions. A qualified professional will discuss your needs and take a look at your current system and characteristics of your home. He will answer your questions and give you options that work with your needs and your budget.
- Sit down with the contractor for more in-depth information. Once your contractor has seen your home, the expert should give you his recommendations and should be able to explain options (such as efficiency levels that are available, i.e. SEER and HSPF for a heat pump) so that you make the right choice. Ask for a written estimate at this point as well as a copy of the contract. Ask about maintenance options to compare the total costs of different HVAC systems.
- Take another look when the contractor leaves. Read the warranties, guarantees and contract. A good contractor will guarantee that work will be done to industry standards and will offer warranties and guarantees that protect you.
If you have HVAC-related questions or would like to speak to an HVAC professional, contact us at Hartman Brothers Heating & Air Conditioning. We have been helping homeowners in Fort Wayne and surrounding Indiana communities create comfortable homes since 1963.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in New Haven, Indiana and surrounding Fort Wayne area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HVAC contractors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Neil Lockhart/Shutterstock”