Every generation thinks of itself as smarter and more capable than the previous generation. While that may not be accurate when it comes to people, it certainly is the case with programmable thermostats. The new generation is much smarter than its predecessors with an array of features that make it easier than ever for you to save money.
Programmable thermostats were a nice upgrade from manual models a few years ago but they are dinosaurs compared to the new smart thermostats. A couple of computer programmers got together to bring smart technology to the world of home comfort, and the results have been astounding. Out of their efforts grew programmable thermostats with features that were unimaginable only a short time ago:
- Internet Connectivity – It all starts with the always-on Internet connection. New programmable thermostats use the web to monitor your system and gather useful data from sources that you would not otherwise be able to access.
- Communication – The information and any alerts you need can then be shared with you via text, email, web interface, touch-screen display and smartphone application. You can also control the system when you're away.
- System Maintenance – The thermostats use the Internet to track your equipment and keep up with suggested maintenance schedules and alert you when the system is inefficient.
- Air Quality Monitoring – Advanced sensors test your interior air for pollutants and use the ventilation system to exchange bad air for fresh air from outside air. It also notifies you when there are health hazards.
- Moisture Control – The same sensors can also check for proper humidity levels and balance the air so you stay comfortable. This allows you to decrease the demand on your system without affecting your quality of life.
- Peak Hour Avoidance – These new programmable thermostats even track the hourly rates charged by your energy provider and adjust settings to use more energy when it's cheaper.
To make sure you choose the perfect smart thermostat for your home, contact Hartman Brothers Heating & Air Conditioning. We help residents in and around Fort Wayne choose the right products, and then install and program them for maximum savings.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about programmable thermostats and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.