Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that can leak into your home and cause life-threatening symptoms. Since this gas doesn’t have any color or smell, it can be difficult to detect on your own. Read on to find out more about carbon monoxide poisoning, including how to lower your risk of this dangerous condition.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Signs of CO poisoning can begin shortly after you’re exposed to this gas and become worse. Symptoms that can occur include a dull headache, light-headedness, and nausea or vomiting. You might also feel weak and short of breath and have blurry vision. More serious symptoms can occur if you’re exposed to carbon monoxide for too long. These include losing consciousness, experiencing confusion, and suffering brain damage. Keep in mind that CO poisoning can be fatal, especially when people are asleep while being exposed to this gas.
Sources of Carbon Monoxide
How does carbon monoxide get into your home? Any appliances that burn fuel can lead to a CO leak inside your home, such as gas furnaces, fireplaces, gas water heaters, gas stoves, and space heaters. Generators and cars can also cause carbon monoxide leaks.
Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Keeping fuel-burning appliances in good condition and ensuring that chimneys and vents aren’t blocked can help lower the risk of carbon monoxide leaks. This means having HVAC maintenance done on your gas furnace and water heater and having your fireplace and chimney cleaned.
You can also reduce the risk of poisoning from CO leaks by installing carbon monoxide detectors. These detectors should be placed in hallways outside each sleeping area in your home. Make sure these detectors are working properly, and change the batteries twice a year. Carbon monoxide detectors can alert you to the presence of this gas in your home so you can get out before poisoning occurs.
If you need help preventing carbon monoxide poisoning, please contact Hartman Brothers Heating and Air Conditioning. We provide HVAC maintenance to keep you and your family safe in your New Haven home.