Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that can leak into your home and cause life-threatening symptoms. Since this gas doesn’t have any color or smell, it can be difficult to detect on your own. Read on to find out more about carbon monoxide poisoning, including how to lower your risk of this dangerous condition.
Your heating system, cooking equipment, and any other appliance that burns fuel create carbon monoxide (CO). Normally, this toxic gas is safely vented outside. A CO leak can be lethal, making it necessary to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home. While manufacturer's instructions for CO detector placement vary, there are some general rules you should remember.
Now that another heating season is approaching and your home will soon be closed up against the cold, carbon monoxide (CO) exposure is a serious threat that you shouldn't ignore. Having your furnace inspected and tuned up by your HVAC technician can help reduce your risk of exposure, but you also need to check every carbon monoxide detector in your home.