Your heating system, cooking equipment, and any other appliance that burns fuel create carbon monoxide (CO). Normally, this toxic gas is safely vented outside. A CO leak can be lethal, making it necessary to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home. While manufacturer's instructions for CO detector placement vary, there are some general rules you should remember.
All gas furnaces use a heat exchanger to transfer the heat the gas creates. Normally, heat exchangers sit next to the furnace burners and heat up just like a pan on the stove. These parts, made from metal, absorb heat and the air that the blower sends over it warms. It enters the ductwork and heats your home.
Now that another heating season is approaching and your home will soon be closed up against the cold, carbon monoxide (CO) exposure is a serious threat that you shouldn't ignore. Having your furnace inspected and tuned up by your HVAC technician can help reduce your risk of exposure, but you also need to check every carbon monoxide detector in your home.
When you turn on your fuel-burning heating system for the fall, you have a reasonable expectation that it will operate safely. However, some unforeseen issues could occur that might make your gas or propane furnace a potentially deadly risk. To prevent this danger, you need a carbon monoxide (CO) detector in your home.
Carbon monoxide (CO)–a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas–is produced by the appliances you use in your home every day. Anything that burns fuel, such as a gas-fired furnace or water heater, produces carbon monoxide as a byproduct of incomplete combustion. Under normal circumstances, these harmful fumes are vented outside, but when something goes wrong, carbon monoxide gas could leak into your home.
Installing a gas furnace is a reliably safe way to keep Fort Wayne's winter chill at bay. However, problems with your system can occur at any time. Knowing how to detect a gas leak can protect your family's health and safety.
A lot can happen to your furnace or boiler while you're not looking. Regular maintenance including changing filters and cleaning your heating system can prevent a lot of issues, but problems can still occur with little warning.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas that is produced in exhaust from vehicles, gas furnaces, stoves, wood fires and other appliances that work by combustion. Unfortunately, CO can be very hazardous to humans and animals, and, in fact, causes hundreds of accidental deaths in the United States every year. Since it can't be detected by sight or smell, how would you know if you'd been exposed to carbon monoxide?
Keeping yourself safe from carbon monoxide exposure involves doing what you can to reduce and eliminate carbon monoxide (CO) from your home. In order to do this, you need to understand where carbon monoxide comes from, and how to properly deal with it in a way that stops any existing leaks, and prevents new ones from occurring.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a real threat lurking in your Fort Wayne area home. This colorless, odorless gas is hazardous and potentially lethal to humans and animals. It can be emitted from any combustion appliance in your home, including gas-powered water heaters and furnaces, if they're malfunctioning or not venting properly. It is very important to identify CO leaks quickly and address the situation immediately before it endangers your family. Carbon monoxide detectors are the best way to protect your family from this invisible danger.
Homeowners have become increasingly aware of the hidden dangers associated with poor indoor air quality and are taking the necessary steps to ensure that their homes are filled with fresh, clean and healthy air. However, with all the chaos and disruption that comes along with building or remodeling your Indiana home, you may overlook airborne pollutants.
Many people make a habit of warming their car up by turning on the ignition and letting the car run for a while inside their garage when the air turns chilly. Even if the overhead garage door is left open while the car is running, carbon monoxide (CO) quickly accumulates in the enclosed space, and lingers after you have shut the garage door and pulled away. Air quality engineers estimate that it could take as little time as two minutes or less for lethal concentrations of the colorless, invisible fumes to fill the space. When the garage is attached to your house, any trapped CO can seep from the garage into your home and remain there for hours.