All gas furnaces use a heat exchanger to transfer the heat the gas creates. Normally, heat exchangers sit next to the furnace burners and heat up just like a pan on the stove. These parts, made from metal, absorb heat and the air that the blower sends over it warms. It enters the ductwork and heats your home.
When you turn on your fuel-burning heating system for the fall, you have a reasonable expectation that it will operate safely. However, some unforeseen issues could occur that might make your gas or propane furnace a potentially deadly risk. To prevent this danger, you need a carbon monoxide (CO) detector in your home.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a real threat lurking in your Fort Wayne area home. This colorless, odorless gas is hazardous and potentially lethal to humans and animals. It can be emitted from any combustion appliance in your home, including gas-powered water heaters and furnaces, if they're malfunctioning or not venting properly. It is very important to identify CO leaks quickly and address the situation immediately before it endangers your family. Carbon monoxide detectors are the best way to protect your family from this invisible danger.