Your heating system, cooking equipment, and any other appliance that burns fuel create carbon monoxide (CO). Normally, this toxic gas is safely vented outside. A CO leak can be lethal, making it necessary to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home. While manufacturer's instructions for CO detector placement vary, there are some general rules you should remember.
When you turn on your fuel-burning heating system for the fall, you have a reasonable expectation that it will operate safely. However, some unforeseen issues could occur that might make your gas or propane furnace a potentially deadly risk. To prevent this danger, you need a carbon monoxide (CO) detector in your home.
Carbon monoxide (CO)–a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas–is produced by the appliances you use in your home every day. Anything that burns fuel, such as a gas-fired furnace or water heater, produces carbon monoxide as a byproduct of incomplete combustion. Under normal circumstances, these harmful fumes are vented outside, but when something goes wrong, carbon monoxide gas could leak into your home.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, invisible gas that is produced in exhaust from vehicles, gas furnaces, stoves, wood fires and other appliances that work by combustion. Unfortunately, CO can be very hazardous to humans and animals, and, in fact, causes hundreds of accidental deaths in the United States every year. Since it can't be detected by sight or smell, how would you know if you'd been exposed to carbon monoxide?
Keeping yourself safe from carbon monoxide exposure involves doing what you can to reduce and eliminate carbon monoxide (CO) from your home. In order to do this, you need to understand where carbon monoxide comes from, and how to properly deal with it in a way that stops any existing leaks, and prevents new ones from occurring.